Thursday, August 27, 2026

The Weight You Cannot See

The Weight You Cannot See

We talk so much about losing weight. But what about the weight we carry within?

We live in a world obsessed with weight.

How many kilos did you lose?
How much fat did you burn?
How many inches did you reduce?

We have gyms, yoga, walking, running, workouts, diets, calorie trackers, fitness apps and countless plans that teach us how to make the body lighter.

And yes—taking care of our physical health matters.

But there is another kind of weight that rarely appears on a weighing scale.

The weight carried by the mind.
The weight carried by the heart.
The weight carried by our emotions.

And perhaps, that weight deserves just as much attention.

---

What are you carrying that nobody can see?

A person may look perfectly healthy from the outside and still feel exhausted within.

The weight of:

- Unspoken emotions
- Constant overthinking
- Fear of the future
- Regret about the past
- Guilt
- Anger
- Resentment
- Disappointment
- Unforgiven experiences
- Expectations
- Comparison
- The need to please everyone
- Relationships that drain us
- Words we wanted to say but never did
- Things we keep replaying in our minds

None of these show up on the weighing scale.

But we feel them.

Sometimes, we wake up tired—not because the body hasn't rested, but because the mind never stopped carrying.

---

We know how to lose physical weight. Do we know how to release emotional weight?

If someone wants to lose physical weight, there is no shortage of advice.

Walk.
Exercise.
Do yoga.
Strength train.
Eat mindfully.
Sleep better.
Stay consistent.

But when it comes to emotional and mental weight, what do we do?

Do we pause?

Do we process what we feel?

Do we allow ourselves to grieve?

Do we talk to someone?

Do we meditate?

Do we learn to forgive—not necessarily others, but ourselves?

Do we create boundaries?

Do we consciously let go of what no longer belongs in our lives?

Or do we simply carry it forward?

---

The heart also needs decluttering.

Imagine carrying a bag everywhere you go.

Every disappointment goes into it.

One old hurt.

One betrayal.

One unresolved argument.

One fear.

One insecurity.

One regret.

One person's opinion.

One expectation.

Another disappointment.

And another.

Years pass.

The bag becomes heavier.

Then one day, we wonder:

"Why am I feeling so tired?"

Perhaps the question isn't always "What more should I carry?"

Perhaps sometimes it is:

"What am I ready to put down?"

---

Losing inner weight doesn't mean forgetting everything.

Letting go doesn't mean pretending something never happened.

Forgiveness doesn't mean what happened was okay.

Moving on doesn't mean the experience didn't matter.

Healing doesn't mean you will never remember.

It means the memory no longer controls your present.

It means you stop allowing yesterday's pain to occupy today's peace.

It means you can acknowledge:

"Yes, this happened.
Yes, it hurt.
And yes, I am choosing not to carry it forever."

---

So, how do we become lighter within?

There isn't one magical method.

Different people need different pathways.

But we can begin with simple practices:

Pause.
Give yourself moments without noise, screens or distractions.

Observe.
Notice what your mind keeps returning to.

Feel.
Instead of immediately suppressing an emotion, allow yourself to acknowledge it.

Express.
Journal. Talk. Create. Cry. Pray. Meditate. Find a healthy way to let what is inside move outward.

Release.
Ask yourself what you are holding that no longer serves you.

Forgive.
Release the expectation that the past must change before you can experience peace.

Set boundaries.
Not everything deserves access to your energy.

Seek support.
Sometimes healing needs another human being—a trusted person, counsellor, therapist, mentor or professional.

Practice presence.
The mind becomes heavy when it constantly lives in yesterday or tomorrow. Come back to this moment.

---

Maybe your next wellness goal shouldn't only be a smaller body.

Maybe it could also be:

A quieter mind.

A softer heart.

Fewer grudges.

Less overthinking.

Less guilt.

Fewer unnecessary expectations.

More acceptance.

More self-compassion.

More space to breathe.

More freedom to simply be.

Because what is the point of having a lighter body if the heart is still carrying a mountain?

---

Ask yourself today…

What am I carrying that I don't need to carry anymore?

What thought has been occupying too much space?

What emotion have I been avoiding?

Whose approval am I still trying to earn?

What past experience am I repeatedly bringing into my present?

What expectation is exhausting me?

What do I need to forgive?

What do I need to accept?

And perhaps most importantly—

What would my life feel like if I became a little lighter within?

---

We spend so much time measuring the weight of our bodies.

Maybe it is time to become curious about the weight of our thoughts, emotions and experiences too.

Because true wellness isn't just about changing how the body looks.

It is also about changing how life feels from within.

So yes…

Lose the weight from your body.

But don't forget to ask:

"What weight can I release from my mind and heart?"

That may be the weight that changes everything.

Meenakshi R Karthikeyan,
AAGHNYA™ | Your Inner Awakening Space
Pause. Breathe. Become aware. Awaken within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apparently, I Also Teach Threatening & Scolding

Apparently, I Also Teach Threatening & Scolding A morning in the life of a meditation teacher… and a very curious child. Thi...